Re: [h-e-w] MSYS bash shell in Emacs?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] MSYS bash shell in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:32:37 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: "David Vanderschel" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:24:52 -0500
>>
>> Is it worth trying to get the bash shell provided with MSYS to
>> run as a shell in Emacs?
>
> IMO, no.  It's probably possible, given enough tinkering,

I did that tinkering, so I can build MinGW packages via MSYS under
Emacs. It wasn't hard:

(defun shell-msys ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((explicit-sh.exe-args '("--login" "-i")))
    (shell-explicit "c:/MinGW/msys/1.0/bin/bash.exe" "Msys" ?/ nil)))

-- ~/.profile:
# Msys sh (alias for Gnu bash)

export PS1="\h$ "

# end of file

> but why would you want to? Emacs on Windows can do just fine without
> Bash; if you have features that don't work without that, please tell
> the details.

+1

> Anyway, MSYS is just a fork of Cygwin.  Its main purpose is to allow
> MinGW developers run Unix configure scripts to configure GNU software
> for being built with MinGW.  Once the configure script ran, MSYS's job
> is done, and you are not supposed to need it anymore.  In fact, the
> MSYS developers advise to stay away of MSYS _except_ for running the
> configure scripts.

Which is the only reason I use MSYS.

--
-- Stephe