Re: [h-e-w] Emacsw32 patched release?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacsw32 patched release?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 01:33:31 +0200

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 18:26, Ben Straub <address@hidden> wrote:
> OnĀ http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl, the "latest"
> patched release is dated almost two years ago. Are there plans to cut a
> release anytime soon?

Is it that long ago? Time is rushing away sometimes.

But, eh, wait. It is nearly one year ago. The latest release was from
a checkout 2010-10-09.

That is of course also a very long time. However at the moment I have
had to give up, I do not have time to build now. The reason is mostly
that I have had a very hard time to get some of the essential patches
accepted into core Emacs. Because of this it takes me quite a long
time to merge my patches into a new checkout. I have told this very
many times on Emacs devel list, but unfortunately it is still the
same. Maybe I will be able to merge again some day, but I am not sure
any more.

However if someone wants to help I can upload at least the latest
version I have built from to Launchpad. Most of the code is already
there, but it is not fully up to date with what I myself is using now.

I have been hesitating to tell this since it may be used as a fork
instead as an incubator for the patches. Making a fork creates a lot
of trouble. Not accepting the patches also creates a lot of trouble,
of course.

I would be very glad if someone tried to make a new build and started
working on getting the essential parts of the patches into Emacs
again. But it might be a tough job.

Without those patches Emacs would currently be rather useless for me.