Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:36:11 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:32:12 -0600
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> JB> Christoph's binaries are built against gnutls-3.0.9, but they do not
> JB> include the GnuTLS DLLs.
>
> Right, and GnuTLS 3.0.9 is not the latest.  I meant he should be
> building against the latest GnuTLS, not include it.

You are being unreasonable.  3.0.9 was released just a month ago.  A
new GnuTLS release happens every 2 weeks, how can you expect each one
of them be ported to Windows at that pace?  Do you think it's just the
"./configure && make" dance we are used to on GNU/Linux?  It took me a
full week of uphill battle to do that with 3.0.9, what with all the
prerequisite packages I needed to port first.  The previous port
before that was of v2.10, from a year and a half ago.  How come it
suddenly is so urgent to have the latest and the greatest?

In any case, feel free to join the battle and help out, instead of
coming up with such unreasonable requirements.

> I was gonna bring that up next :)  What does "semi-official" mean?  Can
> I work with Christoph to include the GnuTLS DLLs or not?  If not, can we
> add a notice to his binaries announcements to tell users where to find
> prebuilt GnuTLS DLLs?

You (or anyone else) can find the prebuilt Windows binaries of
GnuTLS 3.0.9 here:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/