[h-e-w] xargs with quotes...

From: Michael Campbell
Subject: [h-e-w] xargs with quotes...
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:19:24 -0500

A recent-ish version of emacs seems be defaulting the xargs command to be in quotes when I run M-x find-grep, like thus:

find . -type f -print0 | "xargs" -0 -e grep -nH

I've set grep-find-use-xargs to 'gnu.  I'm using cygwin as my find and grep commands.

When I run it like this, I get:

find . -type f -print0 | "xargs" -0 -e grep -nH foo
warning: extra args ignored after '-e'
xargs: WARNING: a NUL character occurred in the input.  It cannot be passed through in the argument list.  Did you mean to use the --null option?

Without the quotes (like it used to do), it works fine.

Is this some environmental thing I've inadvertently triggered?   Is there some way to turn it off?