Re: [h-e-w] Problem installing EmacsW32 on Windows 7

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem installing EmacsW32 on Windows 7
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 05:51:02 +0200

> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:42:14 -0700
> From: "David Masterson (damaster)" <address@hidden>
>
> 1.    EmacsClient starts and says "Waiting for Emacs server to start".
> 2.    Emacs starts and brings up the normal Emacs window.
> 3.    However, Emacs reports "The directory
> `c:/Users/damaster/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe"
>

> What does that mean and how can I fix it?

It means that directory is not owned by you.  This usually happens
with the Administrator user, or if you install Emacs under a different
user than the one under which you later run it.  To see if this is the
case, compare your user name with what the following displays inside
Emacs:

 M-: (file-attributes "c:/Users/damaster/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d" 'string) RET

To fix this, it is usually enough to remove the directory
c:/Users/damaster/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d (with all its
subdirectories), and then start Emacs normally (not through
emacsclient).  Emacs then should recreate the directory with your
normal credentials.

If the above fails, manually change the owner of the above directory
to your user (e.g., by right-clicking on it in Explorer and selecting
Properties->Security), again after removing all its contents; then
restart Emacs.