Re: [h-e-w] Why do replace commands sometimes not work?

From: Francis Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Why do replace commands sometimes not work?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 19:24:51 +0100

\& is documented in "Regexp Replacement" in the Emacs Manual. It represents
the whole of the matched regexp.

Mark: If I run your macro with standard Emacs settings (having started it
with the -Q flag) then I see the problem that you describe, whereas if I run
with my normal settings then I don't. I think it's a question of how the
region is handled and  the significant difference is that in my normal
environment I have Delete Selection Mode turned on, whereas by default it is
off. And it's the setting when the macro is defined that seems to matter.

If you look at the help for M-< it says "Don't use this command in Lisp
programs!", but by using it in a macro that's effectively what you are
doing. However, rather than worrying any further about precisely why your
macro is unreliable, I suggest you use Kevin Buchs' proposal.

Francis

Behalf