Re: [h-e-w] GnuTLS in win32

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] GnuTLS in win32
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 06:15:40 -0400

Jason Lewis <address@hidden> writes:

> in the emacs README.w32 it says:
>
> * GnuTLS support
>
>   In order to support GnuTLS at runtime, Emacs must be able to find
>   the relevant DLLs during startup; failure to do so is not an error,
>   but GnuTLS won't be available to the running session.
>
>   You can get pre-built binaries (including any required DLL and the
>   header files) at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/.
>

> What I am not clear on is where I should be putting the binaries and
> DLLs so emacs can find them at launch time?
>
> I have tried adding a path to them in my init.el with:
>
>   (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:/Program Files (x86)/gnutls/bin/;" (getenv
> "PATH")))
>   (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:/Program Files (x86)/gnutls/lib/;" (getenv
> "PATH")))

"during startup" is a little fuzzy; if Emacs is looking for gnutls
before processing init.el, then this PATH change won't have an effect.

In addition, at some point during startup, Emacs copies the value of
PATH into exec-path; that is the path used by Emacs itself when
searching for executables (and, I assume, DLLs). I always set exec-path
first, then set PATH from it:

  (setq exec-path
        (list
         (expand-file-name "~/bin")
         (concat "/Apps/GNAT-" (getenv "GNAT_VERSION") "/bin")
         "c:/Apps/android/android-sdk/tools"
        ...))

  (setenv "PATH" (mapconcat 'identity  exec-path  path-separator))

In any case, try setting PATH in your .bash_profile, so it is correct
before starting Emacs.

> I also tried putting the files in the lib directory in the same
> directory as emacs.exe

This is unclear. If emacs.exe is in

c:/stuff/emacs-24/bin/emacs.exe

this seems to say you put gnutls.dll in

c:/stuff/emacs-24/lib/gnutls.dll

Better would be:

c:/stuff/emacs-24/bin/gnutls.dll

but that only helps if emacs-24/bin is in your PATH before emacs starts;
it does not need to be to start emacs.

--
-- Stephe