[h-e-w] private bytes as vsize in w32.c system_process_attributes()

From: Mike Small
Subject: [h-e-w] private bytes as vsize in w32.c system_process_attributes()
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:39:05 -0400

Hi,

I tried proced in emacs 23.3 under Windows XP and saw something I
thought was unusual in its process information. Certain applications
display with a significantly smaller VSize than RSS. I believe this is
because system_process_attributes() in w32.c uses the PrivateUsage field
from the PROCESS_MEMORY_COUNTERS_EX structure returned by
get_process_memory_info(). PrivateUsage excludes memory shareable with
other processes, say because it's from loaded dll segments. The following page
suggests using
MEMORYSTATUSEX.ullTotalVirtual - MEMORYSTATUSEX.ullAvailVirtual
from GlobalMemoryStatusEx() for virtual size (see the Virtual Bytes row):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa965225%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#process_memory_performance_information

Is the current choice intentional?

--
Mike Small