Re: [h-e-w] [SOLVED] <C-return> is undefined in nXML mode

From: John Brown
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] [SOLVED] <C-return> is undefined in nXML mode
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 05:21:01 -0800 (PST)

Jason Rumney wrote:

> John Brown <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>  I commented out the original binding for completion-
>>  at-point, added a new one and byte-compiled nxml-mode.el.
>
> A more portable method is to copy that line into your .emacs and modify
> it there. Then you won't need to remember to modify nxml-mode.el every
> time you upgrade Emacs.

Apparently that line does not stand alone. My .emacs looks
like this (just one line):
(define-key map [C-return] 'completion-at-point)

When I load emacs, I get:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
`c:/Users/John/.emacs':

Symbol's value as variable is void: map

I would probably have to copy the entire (defvar nxml-mode-map ... map)
expression. Assuming that it worked, if my .emacs is loaded just
once at startup, wouldn't my key binding be overwritten each time
nXML mode is loaded? No doubt there is a way around that, but that
is too much digging around in the manual for me right now.

Regards,
John Brown.