Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 24.2.1 will not save files sometimes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 24.2.1 will not save files sometimes
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:53:47 +0200

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:16:37 +1100
> From: Peter Milliken <address@hidden>
>
> modify and save a file - message area says it is saved, but status line
> indicates still modified.
>
> No error messages anywhere. File NOT saved on disk.
>
> This does not happen with all files - when 24.1 came out I downloaded it
> and it happened almost straight away - I was busy at the time, so I just
> reverted to my 23.4.1 installation and ignored it, figuring it seemed like
> a fairly serious bug and it would be reported and fixed pretty quickly.
>
> This was under WinXP
>
> I got a new machine here at work with Win7 installed and I noticed that
> Emacs was now 24.2.1, so I decided to try again - same problem.
>
> So back to 23.4.1 I go.
>
> Change the same file (that would not save under 24.2.1) with 23.4.1 and it
> works fine. Try 24.2.1 again - same problem.
>
> The file where I experienced the problem was a Python source code file. I
> was quite happily changing a makefile at the same time without any issues -
> they were in different directories though. That is about all I can tell you.
>
> Again - absolutely no error messages/dumps or anything. The editor just
> sits there saying it saved the file but indicating that the buffer is still
> modified.

First, this should go to address@hidden via "M-x report-emacs-bug".

Second, much more information is needed to do anything with this
report.  Even for you, it only happens sometimes, so the first thing
to try to find out is what is different between the cases this happens
and the cases it does not.  Some questions for which I would like to
see answers:

 . does this consistently happen with some files and consistently does
   not happen with others?

 . what is different between the files which suffer from the problem
   and those which do not? major mode? filesystem (local vs remote or
   networked, hard disk vs flash, NTFS vs FAT32)?

 . if a certain file consistently shows the problem, does the same
   problem happen with it in "emacs -Q"?

 . if the problem doesn't happen in "emacs -Q", can you find something
   in your ~/.emacs or other init files that causes this problem? some
   hook function which modifies the behavior of file I/O primitives or
   subroutines, perhaps?

 . you say the file is not actually written to disk; what about the
   backup file -- is it created not?

 . if none of the above gives a clue, can you step with a Lisp
   debugger (e.g., Edebug) through save-buffer and the functions it
   calls, and see what's going on there for a file that suffers from
   this problem?

Thanks.