Re: [h-e-w] Can't open affix or dictionary flies

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Can't open affix or dictionary flies
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:17:19 +0200

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:11:51 +0100
> From: Oliver Jones <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Am 11.01.2013 11:45, schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
> >> Command: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...\hunspell.exe -a  -d
> >> de_DE_frami -i nil -a -i utf-8
> >
> >    ^^^^^^
> >
> > That "-i nil" should not be there, you should try finding out where
> > did it come from.
>
> I just started "using" Emacs three days ago. (Using in the sense that I'm
> still working on
> getting spellchecking to work. Have you got any advice where I can start
> looking?

Hard to say.  In general, I'd say you made too many customizations,
and in non-trivial ways as well.  Here's all I need to get hunspell
working with the en_US dictionary:

  (setq ispell-program-name
        (locate-file "hunspell" exec-path exec-suffixes 'file-executable-p))

  (setq
   ispell-local-dictionary-alist
     '(("en_US"
          "[[:alpha:]]"
          "[^[:alpha:]]"
          "[']" nil ("-r") nil utf-8)))

That's it!  No eval-after-load, and no direct setting of
ispell-dictionary-alist.  Try modeling your customizations along these
lines, and see if that makes the problem go away.

> > If you go to some misspelled word and type "M-$", don't you see the
> > "*Choices*" buffer pop up with suggested corrections, and a prompt in
> > the echo area with a few keys to use to either correct or leave alone
> > the word?  If these two happen, then spell-checking does work.
> >

> I started a fresh Emacs Session; loaded a test text file; started hunspell by
> M-x ispell;
> pointed the cursor to a misspelled word; typed M-x $ and got [No match] found.
> (Same result for a correctly spelled word.)

I said "M-$", not "M-x $".