Re: [h-e-w] Can't open affix or dictionary flies

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Can't open affix or dictionary flies
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:17:33 +0200

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:42:07 +0100
> From: Oliver Jones <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Now I have this in my init.el:
>
> (setq ispell-program-name "C:\\Dokumente und Einstellungen\\ojones\\Eigene
> Dateien\\hunspell-mingw-1.3.2-win32\\bin\\hunspell.exe")
>
> (setq ispell-local-dictionary-alist
>     '(("en_GB"
>        "[[:alpha:]]"
>        "[^[:alpha:]]" "[']" nil
>        ("-r") nil utf-8)))
>
> And I got this error message (at first):
> Can't open affix or dictionary files for dictionary named "DEU"
>
> But after I played around a bit I figured out that I have to change the
> dictionary by
> M-x ispell-change-dictionary
> and then choosing en_GB.

Yes, DEU is the default, because this is the Windows default for
Germany.

> It works! :-)

Good.

> So I went on and added the German dictionary to my init.el:
>
> (setq ispell-local-dictionary-alist
>     '(("en_GB"
>        "[[:alpha:]]"
>        "[^[:alpha:]]" "[']" nil
>        ("-r") nil utf-8)
>       ("de_DE_frami"
>        "[a-zäöüßA-ZÄÖÜ]" "[^a-zäöüßA-ZÄÖÜ]" "[']" nil
>        ("-r") nil utf-8)))
>
> I can change to the German dictionary but after checking some word (word by
> word, which worded
> fine) I got this error while checking the whole text with M-x ispell:
> Ispell misalignment: word `Einf\303' point 118; probably incompatible versions
>
> It has a Problem with the word "Einführung". I guess the "ü" is the problem.

Yes, the problem is most likely incompatible encoding.  Did you type
"M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET de_DE_frami RET" to change to this
dictionary?

Also, where did you get the de_DE_frami dictionary?  And how exactly
is hunspell invoked for this dictionary after you invoke
ispell-change-dictionary as above (look in Process Explorer or some
equivalent)?