Re: [h-e-w] Displaying Unicode - font substitution for missing glyphs

From: John Brown
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Displaying Unicode - font substitution for missing glyphs
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:02:09 -0800 (PST)

Jason Rumney wrote:

> John Brown writes:
>
>>  On Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 - Precise Pangolin) I see that emacs 23.3.1
>>  displays all the symbols in the default font (whatever it was; I
>>  did not have to change it) and in any other font that I tried,
>>  although on Linux only a handful of fonts were available.
>
> ... By comparison, Windows
> might come with more variety of fonts ... but the coverage is
> missing some Basic Plane characters ... and has few (if any)
> characters from the supplemental planes.

I see. So if I have a font that includes all the characters,
then all will be well. However, there is a little more to it
than that. By that I mean:

- When I select "Courier New", then the 4th character in the line
  below APL in the demo file (after the 1st V) is displayed as
  2373 in a box. `C-u C-x =' tells me that the code point is #x2373
  and no font is available.
- When I examine the "SUBSCRIPT 2" in the chemical formula
  2H₂ + O₂ ⇌ 2H₂O
  (and the 2 is displayed correctly), emacs tells me that
  the font is BatangChe and the code point is #x2082
  So in the case of "SUBSCRIPT 2" the font was substituted.
- However, when I select "DejaVu Sans Mono", #x2373 (which
  could not be displayed in Courier New) now appears and emacs
  says that the font is DejaVu Sans Mono.
- I say all of this to say that since emacs displayed #x2082
  in BatangChe while my default font was Courier New, it could
  have displayed #x2373 in DejaVu Sans Mono. It lied when it said
  that there was no font available, or it was mistaken if you
  want to be charitable.

Can anyone say how emacs identifies a font that contains a glyph
that is not present in its current default font, and why it failed
to find DejaVu Sans Mono? It is not that important; I was just
testing emacs on a UTF-8 demo file.

Regards,
John Brown.