[h-e-w] AUCTeX and SumatraPDF

From: Oliver Jones
Subject: [h-e-w] AUCTeX and SumatraPDF
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:30 +0100

Hi everyone,

I try to set up forward and inverse search for emacs 24.2.1 and AUCTeX using SumatraPDF on a Windows XP.

I followed the instruction of Titus Barik

http://www.barik.net/archive/2012/07/18/154432/comment-page-1/#comment-513166

but want to modify it in a way that I can do the following workflow:

1. Use latex to generate a .dvi.
   (i.e. C-c C-c LaTex
2. Convert the .dvi to a .ps using dvips.exe
   (i.e. C-c C-c File)
3. Convert the .ps to a .pdf using Ghostscript
   (i.e. C-c C-c ps2pdf
where ps2pdf is gswin32c.exe -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=%ff -c save pop -f %f
    and %ff expands to file with arguments "pdf" and t

Writing this looks like I would know what I'm doing, but I just started using (i.e. configuring) emacs a week ago.

Two things are troubling me:

First:
Since my workflow starts with latex the standard viewer is yap.
How can change the viewer to SumatraPDF after I executed my ps2pdf command?

Second:
If I change to output-pdf by clicking in Commands -> TeXing Options -> Generate PDF then SumatraPDF is the viewer. But it starts up several instances of SumatraPDF where it tries to open myfilename.tex and some misterious numer e.g. 17 (it's not always the same number)
Here is the command that is executed:

"C:/Programme/SumatraPDF/SumatraPDF.exe" -reuse-instance -forward-search myfilename.tex 17 "myfilename.pdf"

Thanks for considering.
Kind regards
Oliver