Re: [h-e-w] UltraVNC and C-A chords

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] UltraVNC and C-A chords
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:09:31 +0300

> From: Ken Goldman <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:15:02 -0400
>
> >> I've already used all the Fn keys, plus it's nice to use the standard
> >> bindings because they're available on all machines.
> >>
> >> C-A-\ is indent-region
> >> C-A-q is c-indent-exp
> >>
> >> ... heavily used as I write C code.
> >
> > So you do need an Emacs solution?  So what's wrong with my original
> > proposal?
>
> The original proposal (read the Windows Keyboard section of the manual)
> did not seem to apply.  This is not a Windows problem.  Windows happily
> passes C-A-\ on to either a local emacs or to VNC.  RealVNC worked fine.

I didn't say it was a Windows problem.  I suggested a workaround for
your VNC problem.  The fact that the workaround uses Emacs-specific
features should not be a problem as long as the solution should only
work in Emacs.

The section of the manual to which I pointed describes how to use
special Windows keys as substitutes for Control and Alt within Emacs.
If VNC does pass these special keys, then using the techniques
described in that section of the manual, specifically, customizing
w32-lwindow-modifier, w32-rwindow-modifier, and w32-apps-modifier,
might be the solution you are looking for.

> I.e., this is not a Windows or emacs problem.  I just thought that emacs
> users might know a solution.

I think they do know a solution.  I suggest to try it.