Re: [h-e-w] Slowdown on Emacs 24.3 (Windows)

From: Robert Lerche
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Slowdown on Emacs 24.3 (Windows)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:55:54 -0700

The symptoms you describe sound like a network delay.  That kind of behavior is very common in Windows apps that are waiting for some kind of network response.  I wouldn't expect it from emacs unless you have some customization that is trying to look up a DNS name or maybe there's a buffer trying to do a "tramp" operation.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Elizabeth Wootten <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]

As soon as I run the .exe, the console host and emacs processes appear in
the task manager, but other than that nothing visibly happens. After a few
minutes, a window shows up with window furniture, but is blank and
unresponsive - even the Windows 'x' to close it does nothing. After some
more minutes, the emacs splashscreen is displayed, and after some more
minutes it becomes responsive.

This morning, after a reboot, emacs was the first thing I ran and it behaved
completely normally - started up, allowed me to open and edit a file,
closed. No noticeable delays at all. It started up again immediately on a
second attempt, but then didn't respond to commands for several minutes
(when it did, I closed it).

I've just made my third attempt, and was about 6 minutes between starting
the .exe and seeing a blank window. It's now been another five or so, and
it's still blank. (By "blank" I mean it has the normal Windows furniture,
the emacs File/Edit/Options/etc menus, and then a large white space. The
usual bar towards the bottom indicating the current buffer, line number, etc
isn't present.)

Thanks,
Elizabeth