Re: [h-e-w] Windows 24.5 bug ?

From: rjd
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 24.5 bug ?
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 17:11:15 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> > From: rjd <3246251196ryan <at> gmail.com>
> > Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:07:38 +0000 (UTC)
> >
> > https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-24.5-bin-i686-mingw32.zip
> >
> > I can reproduce this:
> >
> > unzip,
> > goto to bin/
> > ./emacs.exe -Q
> > M-x about-emacs
> > M-x kill-emacs
> >
> > I get an unhanded exception: Unhandled Win32 Exception occurred in emacs.exe
>
> You have a bad libiconv on your PATH.  Use the one that came with
> ezwinports libraries.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/

This seems to be the only place to get these "ezwinports" that I never
needed before. When you download it it just provides libcrypt. If you go
into files:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files

There is no libiconv. It mentions it, and links to a mingw port of it. I
have this already though. Maybe its late in the day but should I find it
odd.. adding a library to the PATH?

In summary, this just does not work. Even when I do add the path to the
downloaded iconv: libiconv-2.dll I still get the same unhanded exception.

Looking at the two version 24.3 Vs 24.5 I cannot see anything that has
changed. So why the need for libiconv all of a sudden.

This, to me, seems like a regression of sorts.

Cheers.