Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Mark Ludwig
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 11:26:11 -0500

On 9/25/2015 3:36 PM, David Vanderschel wrote:

On 9/25/2015 1:59 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Btw, which Emacs version is that?

24.5.1 (latest release I found this week at gnu.org)

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 21:59:14 +0300
From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

Also, can you try adding to the Emacs manifest file this entry, which
says we support Windows 10, and see if that perhaps fixes the problem?

         <!-- Windows 10 -->
         <supportedOS Id="{8e0f7a12-bfb3-4fe8-b9a5-48fd50a15a9a}"/>
Actually, I see that we embed the manifest into the executable, so an
external manifest cannot override it.  But perhaps you could try
rebuilding Emacs after updating the manifest?  (Sorry, I don't have
access to Windows 10 to see if this change in the manifest solves your
problem.)
The machine is a very low powered notebook (HP Stream 11) with little bulk memory, so I am not really up to trying to build Emacs on it.

I just want to point out that it's not necessary to rebuild Emacs in order to change the embedded manifest. You just need the tools and the target executable. You can extract the current manifest to a text file. After changing or adding what you want to the text file, you can update the embedded manifest in the target executable.

Something like:

mt -inputresource:emacs.exe;#1 -out:extracted.manifest
... edit extracted.manifest ...
mt -updateresource:emacs.exe;#1 -manifest extracted.manifest

Note that the syntax of mt is inconsistent w.r.t. whether there is a space or colon after the option. See the docs for details.

(Sorry, but I have no idea whether adding Windows 10 as a supported OS will help with the problem.)

Hope this helps,
Mark