Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Rob Davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:00:51 -0400

With no shortcut pinned to the taskbar, start emacs (runemacs.exe).  Emacs starts and an icon appears on the taskbar.
Right-click on that icon and select "Pin this program to the taskbar".   Then when you exit Emacs, the icon remains on the taskbar.
It is "pinned" (and a shortcut is created for it in the directory mentioned before).
Now when you click on the icon in the taskbar it starts Emacs.  But the misbehavior is that *another* icon appears on the taskbar.  One for the pinned shortcut and one for the running process.  When it works, just the pinned icon on the taskbar is highlighted and multiple instances of running emacs are "grouped" as multiple icons on the taskbar.  Now, setting the app id on the shortcut (and changing its target to runemacs) produces the desired behavior.

Rob

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:36:48 -0400
> From: Rob Davenport <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
>
> (Just to be clear, the main problem I've been talking about is that, after
> pinning Emacs.exe to the taskbar (in Win7, 8, or 10), and clicking it to launch
> Emacs, an additional taskbar icon shows up. It is not grouped by Windows with
> the shortcut.)

What do you mean by "pinning Emacs.exe to the taskbar"?  Please
describe your procedure exactly.

Thanks.