Re: [h-e-w] little problem (avoid automatic creation directory .emacs.d)

From: Lubos Pintes
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] little problem (avoid automatic creation directory .emacs.d)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 09:46:04 +0100

What about this setup? (I'm not absolutely sure it is correct)
1. Download the emacs distro and unpack it somewhere. Let call this directory <emacs>.

2. Create the <emacs>\home folder.

3. Create the <emacs>\share\emacs\site-lisp\site-start.el with this content on the first line: (setenv "HOME" (concat (expand-file-name (concat (file-name-directory load-file-name) "../../..")) "/home"))

4. Now your .emacs.d directory will be under <emacs>\home. And every package you install, etc., will be ready for backup. What do you think about this?

Dňa 25. 11. 2015 o 16:16 pigreco erre napísal(a):
Dear all,
I am a newbie Emacs user.
I try to install my super editor :-) into USB and I use the 24.5 version.
To complete the procedure I customize its behaviour.  I write the
following code :

"(defvar usb-drive-letter (substring data-directory 0 3))
(defvar usb-home-dir (concat usb-drive-letter "home/"))
(setenv "HOME" usb-home-dir)"

in site-start.el which is included in...share\..\site-lisp and I add in
my \home directory , \.emacs.d\init.el file.
The little problem is that:
when I use the editor in windows 7, it  creates also the folder
\.emacs.d\  within ..\AppData\Roaming\
but this path is not used (obviously because root is my usb home and the
config/user folder is found)
Otherwise when I just run Emacs under windows XP I received in
buffer-window a message:
"warning (inizialization): unable to create 'user-emacs-directory'
(~/.emacs.d/) ...." .
Just later the editor continue in correct mode with the exact init file.
I suppose that it have a default directory value (AppData\roaming) which
is not found at the start process (initialization phase).
As a consequence the editor writes the warning in buffer. After it
overwrites the folder in my $HOME$ that it just exists and it contains
the configuration file.
What can I do to stop the buffer-warning-message in win XP and to avoid
the writing (useless) process in AppData\Roaming in win 7?
I thank you to all in adavance for your precious help
With my best regards
Alessandro