Re: [h-e-w] Emacs cursor turns into a vertical line

From: John J . Xenakis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs cursor turns into a vertical line
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 11:46:41 -0400

Hi Eli,

>   > About two weeks ago, I installed the latest Windows 10 update.  Since
>   > then, my Emacs cursor is no longer a rectangle.  It's a vertical line
>   > one pixel wide, and it's almost impossible to see.  Sometimes even the
>   > vertical line disappears.
>
>   Is this a GUI frame or a text-mode (a.k.a. -nw) frame?

It's a GUI frame.  Emacs is invoked with:

>   "DDD1\emacs-25.1.2\bin\runemacs" --no-splash --load DDD2\init.el

where DDD1 and DDD2 are local directories.

>   > I did nothing that I know of to cause this problem.  It's apparently
>   > caused by a change in the Windows 10 UI in the last update.

>   What is the version (including build number etc.) of Windows you
>   have now?  And what is the Emacs version you are using, and where
>   did you get the binaries?

Windows 10 pro, Version 1909, OS build 18363.836

When I click on Help | About Emacs, I get:

>   GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32) of 2016-11-15

I downloaded the Emacs software on 22-Mar-2017 and installed it on
my Windows 7 system, and reinstalled the same zip file on my Windows
10 system last year.

The file that I installed was emacs-25.1-2-i686-w64-mingw32.zip
that I downloaded from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/.

Looking at that directory now, I see that it has several more recent
subdirectories, and I could upgrade Emacs to any of a number of
different files and versions.  What would be the best one?

Thanks,

John