Re: [h-e-w] Emacs cursor turns into a vertical line

From: John J . Xenakis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs cursor turns into a vertical line
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 22:05:09 -0400

Dear Eli,

>   > >   (setq w32-use-visible-system-caret nil)
>   >
>   > Holy Moley!!!! That fixed the problem.  The old cursor is back!
>   >
>   > So am I all set now?  All I need to do is add that statement to
>   > the startup macros?

>   Yes.  Although I'm puzzled how did you get that variable set
>   non-nil in the first place.  Do you have some screen reader
>   software installed and active? or some other accessibility
>   feature?  This variable is normally off.

No, nothing like that.  Remember that this only started to be a
problem when I installed the last Windows update.

For what it's worth, based on what I've seen and what you've said, the
following is my guess for why the variable value is t:

I'm running a 2016 version of Emacs.  That variable might have been
set to t in the 2016 version as a bug that was corrected in a later
version.  However, the bug didn't have any effect in Windows at the
time.

The bug didn't make any difference until the recent Windows update.
But by this time, I'm one of the few people still running the 2016
version, so most people weren't affected.

Nobody else has a problem, since they're all running later versions,
where the bug has already been fixed.

Anyway, that's my guess, for what it's worth.

Thanks again for your help.

John