help-gawk

Re: How to represent NBSP in gawk regex?

From: david kerns
Subject: Re: How to represent NBSP in gawk regex?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 05:34:59 -0700

Thus the sheepish wording... I was not able to get UTF-16 encoding to work,
so I read the manual...
I couldn't find it clearly stated either way, but I did read this:

With the increasing popularity of the Unicode character standard
<http://www.unicode.org/>, there is an additional wrinkle to consider.
Octal and hexadecimal escape sequences inside bracket expressions are taken
to represent only single-byte characters (characters whose values fit
within the range 0–256). To match a range of characters where the endpoints
of the range are larger than 256, enter the multibyte encodings of the
characters directly.

which is what Wolfgang did.

Perhaps my real issue is that I live in an "LC_ALL=C" bubble