help-gawk

Re: Make awk more friendly to multiline function declaration

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: Make awk more friendly to multiline function declaration
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:55:08 -0500

> The comma mover could be run manually or as a preprocessor.  The
> Gawk manual describes a preprocessor for include directives which could be
> modified to add the comma moving feature.

Wouldn't this be context-sensitive (as mentioned by Wolfgang Laun)?
Could you show an example of how to preprocess the code so that commas
in paratheses can be moved to the previous lines robustly? I don't see
an easy way to make this robust. For example, you could have some
legal awk code in a string, then the preprocessor needs know to what
is a string so that it will not make the change.

--
Regards,
Peng