help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Revisit: the 'details' option to show more descript

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Revisit: the 'details' option to show more descriptions
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:49:25 +0200

- Tong - wrote:
Hi Lorenzo,

hi Tong!  good to hear from you :-)

A while back ago, I posted here a request entitled "Wish: An option to show more descriptions", http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.gengetopt.general/216/focus=262

yes, I remember that

I'd like to revisit the subject again, but since it has been a while, and I
bubbled my request with many irrelevant or outdated requests, I'm going to
re-summarize them below in one post. Note that the text prefixed with '> '
was your replies.

Background:
-----------

When programming in Perl, I use the Pod::Usage package to show the online
help. What's interesting in the Pod::Usage package is that it gives me
three level of details. One of them is to show the help for parameters
in details.
In gengetopt, we've already have two level of details:

1. with the option --long-help
2. with the option --help/--show-full-help

actually, the generated parser provides

1. --help (usually)
2. --help/--full-help (in case of hidden options)

But sometimes the one-line explanation from --help might not be enough to explain things in details. However, if we put too much info in it, the total --help would be too long, thus we'll loose our audience.

Request:
--------

So I wish that gengetopt can have another option to show help for parameters
in details (say, --show-detailed-help).

OK, so I should add the details="..." part in the .ggo file, and in that case provide --detailed-help (does any of you know whether there's a standard option for this? is --show-detailed-help standard?)

right?

hope to hear from you soon!
cheers
        Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)