help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] --unamed-opts

From: Nuno Gonçalves
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] --unamed-opts
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 01:15:02 +0100

I think getopt will strip all the options, and then the unamed options
are left untouched.

Repoducible example? I think any program where gengetopt was not
called with --unamed-opts.

Take the example program at
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt/gengetopt.html.

Call gengetopt without --unamed-opts:

gengetopt < sample1.ggo --file-name=cmdline1

Then edit the programa and delete lines 33 and 34. (cause they require
unamed options).

Now call ./sample1 -i 10 abcd.

You can see "abcd" is silently ignored.

Nuno

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Lorenzo Bettini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 04/27/2013 09:23 AM, Nuno Gonçalves wrote:
>> I'm not sure if --unamed-opts is having the intended behaviour.
>>
>> It is defined as:
>> --unamed-opts
>> the program will accept also options without a name, which, in most
>> case, means that we can pass many file names to the program
>>
>> But I tested that currently if it is not set, but the user still
>> passes unamed options, it does not cause any error when parsing, it
>> just doesn't process them.
>>
>> So I think it should fail the parsing and throw a message that
>> unexpected unamed options were found, or that this description is
>> changed to something that makes that clear:
>>
>> "the program will parse also options without a name, which, in most
>> case, means that we can pass many file names to the program. If not
>> set options without a name are ignored"
>>

> mh... I thought it would have reported an error in such case... do you
> have a reproducible example?  Please keep in mind that the actual
> command line options are parsed by getopt_long, not the code generated
> by gengetopt itself; thus, probably, this is the intended behavior from
> getopt_long?
>
> cheers
>         Lorenzo
>

> --
> Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DI, Univ. Torino
> HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it

+ Nuno Gonçalves
+ address@hidden
+ PORTUGAL
E-mail sent directly from Google Mail webmail using HTTPS on behalf of
Nuno João Pinto Gonçalves, birth date 1986-11-16. This e-mail header
MUST contain a DKIM signature. If you require additional security, I
may provide on request X509 electronic signature under Portuguese
government chain.
Se precisar de assinatura digital do Cartão de Cidadão, de uma apitadela.