help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] error with file names containing spaces

From: MUELLER Henning
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] error with file names containing spaces
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:39:06 +0200

Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> Anyway, the killer is, that I do not properly escape the URL. The other
> killer is that the file names are derived from the URL. This is one of the
> reasons why I am for moving to a database, we do not have to think about file
> name formats...
>
> On second thought, what kills it is that the HTML request fails in the
> feature extractor hack. This is one of the things I mean with solution of
> infrastructural problems, this is why I am for a feature extractor framework.

Is there an easy way to write a fix for that?

> > I think that we have been talking about error handling for a while now.
> > May be we should make a list of error messages and define their
> > transmission in mrml.
>
> There are error messages in MRML. What I would suggest, would be adding an
> "error-level" attribute to the error tag. This is more useful (IMHO) than
> having errors and warnings: you could configure the client to let only errors
> starting at level 1/2/3 through...

Yes, I think that such error levels would be very useful. We will have
to adapt the interfaces to actually display the errors, but it will
definitely be worth the effort.

Cheers, Henning

     Henning Mueller, Computer Vision Group
     Computer Science Department, University of Geneva
     24, rue du General Dufour, CH-1211 Geneva 4, SWITZERLAND
     Phone : +41(22)705 7633; fax: +41(22)705 7780
     address@hidden