help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] cvs gift requires libdl

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] cvs gift requires libdl
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:00:39 +0100

> I tried to compile gift from latest cvs (11/01/02, 03:00) and found some
> error about dlopen, dlsym, etc. So I fixed it using the patch attached
> with this mail. I'm not sure that the problem is in my system or
> somewhere else. My system configuration is at the end of this mail.

Hi, Pruet,
Welcome in this list, and thanks a lot for your contribution.

> LIBS= -ldl

That's a short but useful patch. As explanation: this is only needed, if you
cannot embed perl into the GIFT (for there is either no perl, or Perl is
broken). This is why all you other guys (myself included) don't have any
problem, as SuSE and RedHat provide a reasonable default Perl installation.
Apparently the Debian standard Perl installation is still broken (with
respect to ExtUtils::Embed), or am I wrong, Pruet?

I guess I will add the corresponding line rather in configure.in to avoid
double inclusion of the library when Perl is present.

Thanks a lot, and
Cheers,
Wolfgang

(BTW along with the new configure.in I will check in my work towards
something that compiles with gcc-3.0.3. It does not yet compile, the current
problem is that for the streampos type the postincrement (x++) is not
defined, so there's the choice between doing things with x=x+1 and checking
that things still work, or defining a postincrement)