help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] Seeding of random number generator in GIFT

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Seeding of random number generator in GIFT
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:14:29 +0100

Hi, David,
> It has been on my mind for some time to point out that the random number
> generator is not seeded (with something like PID) each time that the GIFT
> server is started. This means that I get the same sequence of "random"
> images every time the server is restarted.
>
> Whilst this is actually quite handy when doing development and debugging,

...which is the reason why I let that in the code...

> it is not desirable in a "public release" version.

...yes and no...

> Might I suggest that an
> appropriate line be added for this,
I put that on the batch.
> and that a command line option be added
> so that it could be disabled if desired when testing?
If any option, this would be rather a config file option, I guess. Except if
you want it to happen for ALL query engines.

OK. The little line is no problem, the config file stuff is not hipri, I
guess.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Cheers,
Wolfgang