help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] Region query for MRML/GIFT

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Region query for MRML/GIFT
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:16:45 +0100

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 14:33, Pruet Boonma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As David said sometime ago, I will do a minor thesis on MRML and GIFT,
> which is mainly to extend them to support region QBE. Therefore I have some
> issues that I would like to discuss before start coding.
>
> 1. I've made a mock MRML session here [1] . Please have a look and any
> comment will be very welcome. The regional style is come from MPEG-7
> Visual Description Scheme, please see my draft review of the MPEG-7 here

OK. this I was able to print.

> [2], it's in section 4. Consequently, if everything is fine, I will
> write a DTD as a MRML extension.

...or you will send me a patch for ./dtd/mrml.dtd

> 2. Are there any development that focuses on regional query in GIFT/MRML
> ? I think that I've seen something like mpeg-7 tag in the code, but not
> sure about the purpose of that part.

OK. This was done for Audrey Tam who used GIFT as a base for a demo of an
MPEG-7 proposal of hers that used structured annotation. The query engine was
written in Perl, SnakeCharmer allows for entering of free form text that is
inlcuded into the mpeg-7 tag.

> 3. From issue #1. , Should I develop region query as a new algorithm or
> a query-paradigms. In the mock MRML session above, I use both of them.

In my opinion what you will do is:
1) write a new plugin for the GIFT (there are now possibilities to generate
an empty plugin that you can use as a base).
2) create a new algorithm and the corresponding query paradigm.

Currently the main use of the query-paradigm is to make clear what collection
can be accessed using what algorithm. Queryparadigm and in collection and
algorithm have to match to make things work with each other.

Maybe I should quickly release my htdig plugin where I solved some of these
questions. For this I would suggest that I add a new directory tree to the
gift CVS, that we could call either gift-plugins or gift-contrib.

Which one? thta's your free choice.

I mean to include there stuff that is not (yet) part of the GIFT mainstream
and waits for inclusion. In particular that would take out steam from the
discussion about seamless integration of new query engines. Does this seem
right to you, folks? Please protest, if not.

Concerning region queries, yes and no. There is the Bothrops query engine
that is not yet released for a number of reasons, mainly that it is not yet
fit, and I got distracted by some feature extraction framework issues that I
will describe in one of the following mails. Bothrops is a query engine that
is based on similarity queries of graphs using inverted files. It is
described in my thesis. I hope to release it into the GIFT mainstream before
I change jobs, which is end of march.

If I see right, the stuff you sent me is generated using dia? If that is so,
please send me the DIA source, as I was only partly able to print your stuff
(parts of the page are missing).

Cheers,
Wolfgang