help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT installation (new to GIFT)

From: Howard Lee
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT installation (new to GIFT)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:36 +1100 (EST)

Dear Wolfgang,

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Wolfgang [iso-8859-1] M?ller wrote:

> > I had followed your
> > advise, and varified the Parse::Yapp package is installed in the default
> > directoy (/usr/bin) and I also reinstall the XML::XQL package and had
> > varified the XML::XQL package is working.
>
> How and where did you verify that it's working?

  I had downloaded the XML::XQL source file (XML-XQL-0.68.tar.gz) from the
net, and use the command "make test" after the installation to see whether
or not the package is actually working on my machine. And in the test, it
passes all the test...

>(errors snipped)
> >     To examing this error, I opened up the XQL.pm file and the line
> > 969 states:
> >             use XML::XQL::Parser;
>
> In fact this is the Perl equivalent to the JAVA/Python import statement.
>
> >     I had also checked that Parser directory exists under XQL. => just
> > wondering: what is the condition to for the above statement to return a
> > true value? Maybe I am missing something here??
>
> True means that you can import XML::XQL::Parser. Did you check that
> XML::XQL::Parser.pm is a nonempty file?

  Yes, you are right!!! The file Parser.pm is an empty file in my
directory... I had just donwloaded and installed the Parser.pm file.
But another problem occurred:

==============

        Perl gives us the following error message:
        Parser.pm and Expat.pm versions don't match at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/XQL/Parser.pm
line 17.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/XQL/Parser.pm
line 19.
    Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/XQL.pm line
969.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/XQL.pm line
969.

===============

apparantly it is the problem with different versions in Parser.pm and
Expat.pm. However while examing both files:

----

<Parser.pm>

package XML::Parser;

use Carp;

BEGIN {
  require XML::Parser::Expat;
  $VERSION = '2.34';
  die "Parser.pm and Expat.pm versions don't match"   .....<line 17>
    unless $VERSION eq $XML::Parser::Expat::VERSION;
}

----

and

----

<Expat.pm>

ackage XML::Parser::Expat;

require 5.004;

use strict;
use vars qw($VERSION @ISA %Handler_Setters %Encoding_Table @Encoding_Path
            $have_File_Spec);
use Carp;

require DynaLoader;

@ISA = qw(DynaLoader);
$VERSION = "2.34" ;

----

Both files appear to have the same version: "2.34"

Any ideas how this error message occurred? Any suggestion to overcome this
problem?

> > PS. things I have tried so far hoping to resolve the GIFT installation
> > problem on my machine:
> >
> > logged in as root:
> >
> >     reinstalling Parse::Yapp
> >     reinstalling XML::XQL module
> did you make make clean?
>
> >     adding /usr/lib to the PATH
> this should not change anything, does it?
>
> >     installing gift-prerequisites-0.09 package
> >     ocnfiguring gift-0.1.9 (problem occurred)
>
> Thanks for this P.S. it's very to keep track.

  <in regarding to Parser.pm>

  after knowing that the Parser.pm file is empty, I perform a search for
that file on Google and had found one from the earlier GIFT forum:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gift/2003-04/msg00009.html

and only realised that it is the older version (2.30) which is conflict
with Expat.pm (2.34) installed on my machine.

  so I search for the XML::Parser 2.34 package. And even after installed
the new version, the error message still exist.  (Parser.pm and Expat.pm
versions don't match at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/XQL/Parser.pm
line 17.)

        Thank you very much for your time and help

Best regards,
Howard