help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] Fwd: Big database on GIFT. gift-generate-inverted-file e

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Fwd: Big database on GIFT. gift-generate-inverted-file error.
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:56:22 +0100

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 08:41, Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> Forwarded message from Henning, to make discussion public.
> -
I think that there might be a limit with respect to the numbers of
extracted and to be sorted  features. As the pointer is negative, this
might be a problem.
Wolfgang should in case know better.
I do not think that anybody ever used such a large number of images with
gift. How far away are you form the maximum filesize of your Linux
system? An how much space is on your hard disk?
Another option would be to create a more compact feature space by
reducing the number of colors and the number of bins for the Gabors, or
directions and scales of the Gabors. If there is some magic limit, you
might get below it.

If you would like to parallelize the inverted files anyways, why don't
you just generate the five smaller inverted files and have a sort of
meta-search engine that starts five queries on five different machines.

Then you could merge the results.

This will surely lead to different results than one big inverted file
but will surely be computed more efficiently.

Cheers, Henning