[Help-glpk] PC vs. WS

From: C. Javier Sosa Gonzalez
Subject: [Help-glpk] PC vs. WS
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:54:23 +0000 (WET)

Hello,

I am using the glpk v3.2.3. I solve several LPs with this version
of the glpk over a PC and a WorkStation(WS). Given a formulation of each
LP using the CPLEX (lpt) file format, the solution for this formulation is
equal if I solve it over a PC or a WS.

Today, I have used the new glpk v4.4. I have re-executed each
problem in the PC and the WS. Now, with the v4.4, if I use a PC some
solutions are differents to the WS solutions in some problems.

My answer is, that is right? I am using linear programming, that is, the
simplex solver only. I am using the same version of the glpk over the PC
and the WS. I suppose that the behaviour must be the same due to the
program and the data are the same. What am I wrong?  On the other hand, I
know that both different solutions are valid (they are optimal solutions),
but I do not understand how the same software can have different behaviour
for the same data.

As Final notes, I test the attached lp problem in several PCs runing
linux and all of them give to me the same solution (address@hidden,
address@hidden and address@hidden). Also the WS are a Sun-Blade 150 and a
SunFire
280R.