[Help-glpk] restarting GLPK with dual simplex

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: [Help-glpk] restarting GLPK with dual simplex
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:42:48 -0500

I'm trying to solve an MIP using the following heuristic.

I solve the LP relaxation (using Simplex - primal).  GLPK finds the
optimal solution.

Then I set the lower bounds on some of the variables to a positive
integer.  For example, if the solution from the simplex says that x[1] =
3.95, I might change the lower bound of x[1] from 0 to 4.0.  A bunch of
problem-specific logic is used in this step, but the only changes are to
lower bounds.

Then I want to resolve using the dual simplex method, since in theory
changing a lower bound will keep the current dual solution feasible.

However, doing so, it seems like GLPK does not restart with a dual
feasible solution.

To paraphrase the above, I'm setting up the model, then issuing the
following code (simplified from my actual code), using the VB interface.

  retVal = glpk_simplex(lp)                   ' runs primal simplex
  glpk_set_col_bnds lp, 1, GLPK_LO, 4.0, 0.0  ' change a lower bound

  glpk_set_int_parm lp, GLPK_K_DUAL,1         ' set to dual
  retVal = glpk_simplex(lp)                   ' restart

GLPK doesn't seem to restart with dual feasible solution.

I'm probably not using GLPK correctly.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.
This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged.  If
you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you
prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information
contained herein.  Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.