RE: [Help-glpk] loop for for mathprog

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] loop for for mathprog
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:42:14 -0500

When I read the documentation, it appears that the AMPL like abilities in GLPK do not include the for-loop control structures.  In particular, there is very little you can do after the “solve” command (basically you can use “display” and “print”, but there is no facility for examining the solution and rerunning the linear or integer program).

In “real” applications of linear and integer programming, I almost always need some post-solution control due to either:

(1) Decomposition techniques (such as column generation)

(2) Having the linear program only able to approximate the real-world problem.  In this case, the solutions need to be analyzed and the linear program needs to be adjusted several times before an acceptable solution that fits the “real-world” constraints is obtained.

So my number #1 wish for Andrew is to add in the same type (or better) post-solution control that AMPL has.

-Marc Meketon