RE: [Help-glpk] Min. problem with reduced costs < 0, but simplex fails t

From: Joey Rios
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] Min. problem with reduced costs < 0, but simplex fails to progress
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:47:04 -0700

Hi Michael, thanks for the response.

> How?
> My recollection is that DW does not provide
> an instant initial feasible solution.
> It might be the case that the more pieces into which yu divvy up the problem,
> the more likely it is that the first subproblem solutions
> will correspond to a feasible for the whole problem.
> With 8 subproblems, you have to work at finding a feasible solution.

You're right that DW doesn't provide instant feasibility.  I neglected to mention my Phase I procedure and just started talking about DW as if it had a feasible sol'n.  But still, your question gives me a new place to bug hunt.  Maybe my Phase I isn't as robust as I'd hoped and a flaw is hidden by a large number of subprobs and exposed by a small number of them.

I'll update the thread if I find anything new this week.

Thanks again.