[Help-glpk] glpsol solution file dependent on input format?

From: Oliver Soong
Subject: [Help-glpk] glpsol solution file dependent on input format?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:29:16 -0700

I was working with glpsol.exe (compiled using VC++ 2010 Express) and
came across some odd behavior.  I'm not sure if this is documented
somewhere I couldn't find, but I get different solution files (-w
option) depending on the format of the input file.  I've attached an
example problem, but I suspect any will work.  Here's what I did:

glpsol problem.mps --check --wlp problem.lp
glpsol problem.mps -w mps.sol
glpsol --lp problem.lp -w lp.sol

lp.sol has 323 lines, while mps.sol has 324.  On closer examination,
mps.sol has an entry for the objective (line 3), while lp.sol does
not.  I think mps.sol is incorrect, according to the solution file
format documented under glp_write_mip.

Also, the documentation for glp_write_mip, under the File format
portion, refers to glp_write_sol.

Otherwise, a great tool.  I hope it scales well!

Oliver