[Help-glpk] [Fwd: CMAKE build environment (and version control)]

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: CMAKE build environment (and version control)]
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:47:20 +0300

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Alpár Jüttner <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: CMAKE build environment (and version control)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:13:19 +0100

Hi,

First of all I would like to thank you for developing this great
software. We use GLPK in various research projects with great success.

We also provide an high level C++ interface to GLPK (and other LP/MIP
solvers) in our open source graph and network optimization library
called LEMON ( http://lemon.cs.elte.hu ).

In order to make it easier to embed GLPK into other projects I put
together a CMAKE based build platform for it:

http://lemon.cs.elte.hu/hg/glpk-cmake

(see some help below)

It pretty well substitutes all the build tools and .bat files GLPK
currently has, thus - after some fine tuning - it would be nice to
include into the future releases. The other build tools may even be
deprecated in the long run.

It needs a recent version of CMAKE installed, otherwise its use is
fairly easy:

On linux and UN*X:

        mkdir build
        cd build
        cmake ..
        make
        [make check]
        [make pdfdoc]
        make install

Instead of cmake, you can also use `cmake-gui` or `ccmake`, which allow
interactive editing of all the config parameters.

On windows you can do the same as above in a command prompt or simply
start cmake-gui with mouse.

CMAKE can generate various build systems, such as:

      * UNIX Makefiles
      * NMake Makefiles (on windows)
      * Visual Studio, Codeblocks, Borland C++ etc project and solution
        files.

Moreover the 'cpack' command will automatically create .exe installer
using NSIS.

Should you be interested I can show some example on how to add GLPK as
an embedded subproject to another project using CMAKE.

I would be happy to hear any feedback and comment.

======

As you may have already noticed, I've also created a GLPK repository
using the Mercurial distributed version control system
( http://mercurial.selenic.com/ ) which I suggest for adoption, too.
I believe the principle of distributed version control fits very well
GLPK. If you want to check it out, install mercurial (I suggest
TortoiseHG version on Windows) and type

hg clone http://lemon.cs.elte.hu/hg/glpk-cmake

(Or right click -> TortoiseHg -> Clone in the file browser on windows)

Best regards,
Alpar