Re: [Help-glpk] Help-glpk] [Fwd: CMAKE build environment (and version co

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Help-glpk] [Fwd: CMAKE build environment (and version control)]
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:46:45 +0300

Hi Alpar,

I must say that you puzzled me :+), because I've never thought to use
something other than GNU autotools. I asked GNU mentors (please see a
copy of their answers below) and decided not to change anything.
However, if you think that having cmake stuff in the glpk distribution
would be useful, I can include it in the same way as batch scripts and
makefiles for MS Visual Studio.

> > As a rule MS Windows should not be considered at all, because it is
> > proprietary software.
> >

> :)
>
> Then, why on Earth are those .bat files there in the GLPK release? Why
> the precompiled MS Windows package was even mentioned in the last
> release announcement?
>
> It may be that MS Windows should not be considered at all, but I
> really
> happy to consider the MS Windows users, no matter what makes them
> using
> that OS. I think Xypron is also worth "being considered" for his
> efforts
> to make the precompiled binary.

Sorry, probably I expressed my thought inexactly. I meant that there
should be no special efforts on developing something that concerns MS
Windows only, at least for GNU packages. Glpk distribution includes
makefiles for building the package with Visual Studio, but this is for
user's convenience, not more. I didn't mean, of course, that MS Windows
should not be used (at all).

Best regards,

Andrew Makhorin