[Help-glpk] Wish list - an extended "if then else" statement

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: [Help-glpk] Wish list - an extended "if then else" statement
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:26:19 -0600

After the "solve" in GMPL, I wanted to display the duals of the constraints ARRIVALS, DEPARTURES using two different printf formats.

Ideally, it would have been nice to have written something like the below.  [As an aside, EVENTS is a set, but in reality I'm using the trick the Andrew showed us to sort the elements in EVENTS first by 'time' and then by 'ad', but that just complicates the example code below - however the fact that EVENTS is essentially sorted by time is why I want to interweave the 'arrivals' with the 'departures'.]

Note in the example that the each printf has 2 expressions (time and a dual), but they appear in different order.  Below is what I would have liked to have had:

for{(time,ad) in EVENTS} {
  if ad='A' then
printf "dual=%3g  %5d\n", ARRIVALS[time].dual, time

  else printf "          %5d dual=%3g\n", time, DEPARTURES[time].dual;
}

but that doesn't work.  The "if" statement isn't for execution of statement blocks, but only for returning a scalar.

My workaround was messy, and looks like:

for{(time,ad) in EVENTS} {
  printf
        if ad='A' then "dual=%3g  %5d\n" else "          %5d dual=%3g\n",
        if ad='A' then ARRIVALS[time].dual else time,
        if ad='A' then time else DEPARTURES[time].dual;
}

I would like to have the first alternative (or something like that) on a wish list of enhancements to GMPL.

Does anyone have a more clever (and more clear) work-around?

Thank you in advance,

-Marc

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.