Re: [Help-glpk] Reenterable patch for GLPK-4.47

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Reenterable patch for GLPK-4.47
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:40:58 +0400

Sorry for a delay in my response.

> Ok. It's really easy though it can cause build problems on some platforms.
> I understand why you don't include it in the default build.
>
> However, it would be nice if GLPK "configure" has an option to build
> reenterant binaries.
> Can I help you by a patch to "configure.ac" and to other build files ?

Thank you. However, do you mean reenterability or thread-safety? These
issues are often mixed up. And another question: in your opinion, how
one could use a reenterable (or thread-safe) version of glpk?

> If you strongly againt such option in the mainstream GLPK,
> please give me an advice about the recommended place in the Web to
> host patches to GLPK ?

Not strongly against, but it would make more difficult to maintain the
package. Besides, glpk is free software, so everyone can change it in
the way he/she needs to.

As to patches, I see three ways:

i) post them to the help-glpk mailing list as a gzipped attachment,
providing necessary information in the message body and a subject line
suitable for the search;

ii) add a topic to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK and include the
patches there;

iii) officially glpk is hosted on GNU Savannah;
see http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/glpk (though currently I don't use
this service). I could add you to the project member list, so you could
upload patches to the project repository.

> I made a local patch for GLPK that I use in my Java project.
> I want to prepare a more portable patch and to share it with other
> GLPK users interested in reenterable binaries.

Andrew Makhorin