Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Converting AMPL Bender's Decomposition code

From: João Flávio de Freitas Almeida
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Converting AMPL Bender's Decomposition code
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 15:18:04 -0200

Hi all,

An interesting thing is that other solvers for large scale optimization also have problems implementing strategy for decomposition techiniques on problems.

On a Benders Decomposition problem, when returning the dual value of constraing some solvers can use "InfeasibleOrUnbounded" instead of "Infeasible" or "Unbounded".

Here is a post of Robert Fourer (AMPL) about this issue, my post related to Benders Decomposition and Erling D. Andersen (Mosek) with some (math) explanation of the difficulties on implementing such feature.

http://bob4er.blogspot.com.br/2013/02/more-than-one-large-scale-solver-for.html

http://mosek.com/fileadmin/reports/tech/infeas.pdf.

On "Dantzig-Wolfe decomposition with GLPK" Joey Rios also present the algorithm limitations: "subproblems must be bounded. There may also be bugs."

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Add-Ons#Dantzig-Wolfe_decomposition

I also would like very much to see script .run file on Gmpl for Glpk.

Bests,

João Flávio F. Almeida