[Help-glpk] Setting initial guesses for simplex / interior-point

From: Marc Lanctot
Subject: [Help-glpk] Setting initial guesses for simplex / interior-point
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:35:32 +0100

Hello everyone,

I'm working on an interesting problem and I'm curious if I can use GLPK to solve it.

Suppose I am trying to solve a linear program, but for some reason I have some prior knowledge.. i.e. a good guess as to the optimal values of my variable. In fact let's say it's a very good guess.. I know that the optimal values can only be each off my some small error epsilon.

Based on my (admittedly rough) understanding of the LP algorithms, it seems like this knowledge could only help. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any way I could inform simplex or an interior point of this prior knowledge, e.g. tell it to start looking at a particular part of the feasible region with the values I have?

(For some context: I have a problem where I need to incrementally solve a sequence of LPs, where each LP in the sequence has the same form as the one before it and only a small change a smaller number of the constraints' coefficients. I'd like to solve the first LP once from scratch and then hopefully iteratively re-use the values to the next ones. )

Thanks,
Marc