Re: [Help-glpk] Stock Cutting problem

From: Jeffrey Kantor
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Stock Cutting problem
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:17:53 -0400

Niitin,

The simple MathProg model I developed for your small problem will never work for your full scale application.  Producing 200 product pieces from 500 stock pieces would correspond to 200 x 500 = 10,000 binary variables. Given the large number of symmetries in the solution to the problem, that's not a feasible approach.

Column generation is a standard approach to these problems. Rather than directly assign product pieces to stock pieces, in column generation you consider a set of cutting patterns.  Each cutting pattern breaks a stock piece into known product pieces. The optimization problem is to then determine an optimal number of times to use each pattern.  Each pattern corresponds to a column in an integer LP.  The trick is to start with a base set of patterns then generate new patterns on the fly  (hence 'column generation') to solve your specific problem.

Unfortunately, MathProg doesn't provide a means to add columns on the fly.  Therefore you'll need to look into use of the glpk api.  It's not as bad as it sounds, and you can into the cspsol for a head start.  Also google 'cutting stock column generation' for some excellent resources.

Jeff