Re: [Help-glpk] Slow performance on "Select minimum" task

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Slow performance on "Select minimum" task
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:58:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Jan van Rijn wrote:

The way I interpreted your solution was that 'at least one y-value per
column will be >= 1'.
I don't see exactly which constraint makes sure that there will be exactly
one y-value per column 1
(which, again, we don't need if all values in M are >= 0).

You are correct.
The y's have no upper bound, not even one.

If M contains negative values, it could be that:
* an ideal solution would have multiple y-values per column bigger than
zero, and
* These values will not necessarily be one, but can take even higher values
(due to this GLPK gave an error message, and this is how I found out)

In the case of negative M's,

Adding SUM y[r,c] = 1

is sufficient.
The y's still do not need to be declared binary.

Being an added constraint, it might speed things up with positive M's.

--
Michael   address@hidden
"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,