Re: [Help-glpk] TRYING TO GET A NON-OPTMIAL SOLUTION OF A MIP MODEL.

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] TRYING TO GET A NON-OPTMIAL SOLUTION OF A MIP MODEL.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:18:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018, Joshua Friedman wrote:

The technique you described of relaxing all but 1-2 days and fixing the
integer part sounds interesting. Are there any published works implenting
the technique. I am also working on a timetabling/student enrollment
problem at my college.

Probably, but I do not know of any.
Note that the particulars were selected for
ease of exposition rather than efficacy.
My suspicion is that starting in the middle would be more effective.

Another possibility is lagrangean optimization.
There are lots of articles on that.
The idea is that one drops enough constraints to make it easy to solve.
If the solution obtained works, well and good.
If not, adjust the objective function and try again.
The details are in the constraints dropped and subsequent adjustments.
Often constraints dropped usually allow the
problem to be broken into independent subproblems.

In any case, I'd try depth-first before anything too novel.

--
Michael   address@hidden
"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,