gnats installation

From: Wes Barris
Subject: gnats installation
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:12:54 -0600

Hello,

I am continuing to muddle through the installation procedure for
gnats.  The "mkcat" command is giving this error:

address@hidden sudo -u gnats mkcat
query-pr: The directory /usr/local/com/gnatsdb does not exist for database
default
query-pr: The directory /usr/local/com/gnatsdb does not exist for database
default

I found that it is complaining becuase a dirctory doesn't exist:

address@hidden fgrep query-pr /usr/local/libexec/gnats/mkcat
GNATS_DB_DIR="`query-pr --print-directory-for-database`"
query-pr --list-categories | awk -F: '{print $1}' | while read i
address@hidden query-pr --print-directory-for-database
query-pr: The directory /usr/local/com/gnatsdb does not exist for database
default

I haven't seen this directory mentioned in the web page installation
instructions:

http://sources.redhat.com/gnats/3_113_manual/gnats_4.html#SEC55

Was this supposed to be created by the installation?  Am I just
supposed to "mkdir /usr/local/com/gnatsdb"?

If I do, I just get more errors.  It seems that there is an important
step missing in the instructions but I don't know what it is:

address@hidden mkdir /usr/local/com
address@hidden mkdir /usr/local/com/gnatsdb
address@hidden query-pr --print-directory-for-database
query-pr: Unable to read config file /usr/local/com/gnatsdb/gnats-adm/dbconfig

Wes Barris                                            address@hidden
Network Computing Services, Inc.                           612.337.3423
Today's fortune: I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get
all nervous and give the wrong answers.