Re: GNATS password management

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: GNATS password management
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:54:41 +0200

At 23:36 27.06.2001 +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
   YS> -n, --nocreate  Don't create file; display results on stdout.

This option looks useless to me here.

The rationale for this option is that people might then use it in more general contexts when they need to calculate an MD5 hash of a password for use in other applications than GNATS.

   YS> gnats-pw
    YS> gnats-pw [-cmdps] passwordfile username accesslevel
    YS> gnats-pw -n[mdps] username accesslevel

I'd call it `gnats-passwd'.

Yes, if that isn't too long?

I'm not sure I like specifying `passwordfile' this way (I know htpasswd
does it so).  I'd prefer having an `-f / --file' option instead, thus
making the argument optional, possibly combined with `-d / --database'
for specifying a particular database.  I think it's easier to handle for
GNATS admins -- they don't have to think about the exact names and
locations of the access files.

Yes, that would probably be the best way to do it.

Using `-d' for database would cause a collision with:

    YS> -d, --crypt     Force CRYPT encryption of the password (default).

but maybe someone can find a better single letter for the --crypt
option.

We could use -C, --create for "create new file", and -c, --crypt for "force DES encryption".

- Yngve