X-GNATS-NOTIFY & the CC list in 4.0

From: Dirk Bergstrom
Subject: X-GNATS-NOTIFY & the CC list in 4.0
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:02:20 -0800

after much testing and digging around the sources, it appears to me that gnats
more or less ignores both the X-GNATS-Notify: and Cc: headers of a PR when
sending out state-change messages (the "audit-mail" mail-format).

gnatsweb happily populates and reads XGN & Cc headers, leading one to believe
that they are useful, but no matter how i mess around in dbconfig, i can't get
gnats to generate mail to the addresses in the Cc or XGN headers.

i've tried adding "cc", "x-gnats-notify", "headers[cc]", "$MailCC", and a
couple other things to the to-addresses list in the audit-mail mail-format,
with no luck.  i dug thru the sources, and found the code that generates
headers, but i haven't been able to decipher the twisty maze of structs, enums
and subroutine calls that are used to grab email addresses.   from this
(mail.h):

/* These addresses are always mapped through the responsible adm
   file.  */
struct mail_address
{
  /* A fixed name.  */
  char *fixedAddress;
  /* A list of addresses to try--each one is tried in turn until a
     non-empty one is found. */
  FieldList addresses;
};

it looks like the source for mail addresses are all gnats fields, and not
headers (or "fixed-address" values from the dbconfig file).  actually, they can
also be parameters (like "$EditUserEmailAddr"), but there are a limited set of
those, and they don't include cc or xgn.

i vaguely remember reading somewhere that X-GNATS-Notify was deprecated, or
just plain didn't work, but i can't find such a thing now.  i've searched the
manpages, the *.texi files, and the changelogs, and i can't find any mention of
them in 4.0.

so, does anyone know what the deal is with these headers?  if they are
unsupported, we should either support them in gnats, or remove them from
gnatsweb.  if they are supported, somebody needs to tell me how to get at them
in a meaningful way.

thanks.

--
Dirk Bergstrom               address@hidden
Juniper Networks Inc.,          Computer Geek