Re: User accounts in Gnats

From: Chad C. Walstrom
Subject: Re: User accounts in Gnats
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:29:50 -0600

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 04:24:52PM +0530, Hariharan.S. wrote:
> Is it possible to access user accounts of server in Gnats ? Let's say
> i have installed Gnats in a linux system, will it be possible for
> gnats to use all the user accounts created in the system, as per the
> linux password ? I have lot of users to be created in gnats, having
> this kind of hook will really help. Also, users will be able to set
> their own passwords through standard linux i/f and it will be
> encrypted, etc.

No.  Someone will have to get their hands dirty with some PAM coding.
PAM would give us the flexibility to authenticate against any number of
methods (system, LDAP, RDBMS, etc.).  We just need to tie in the GNATS
authentication method into the PAM API.  I've been busy lately, so I
haven't had a chance to look at it.  I want it, definitely, but I
currently have little time to contribute.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' address@hidden)